The Cursed Recipe

I found this Irish red recipe that looked really good, but for one reason or another, I just can’t seem to brew it right.

The first time I brewed it, I didn’t realize it was a 10.5G batch. So I put it in BeerSmith, and noticed that it was going to be black (I had it set up as a 5G recipe). So, not being quite sharp enough to figure out there must be something wrong, I adjusted the grain bill to make it red.

Then I brewed it, and quickly realized something was wrong when I started calculating my sparge and mash water the morning I was brewing it.

Of course, by that time, I had all the grain milled, and it was all mixed up in the bag. I brewed it anyway.

The beer ended up around 3% and really pale and yellow. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

I decided to try it again not too long ago, and now that I’ve tasted it, I realize I did something wrong again. It’s really dark, black really, and has a bit of a roasted malt taste to it. It’s not bad, but it’s not an Irish Red.

I save all of my BeerSmith recipes, and just copy them when I want to brew them again. I think I grabbed the botched recipe, and just scaled it down.

So, it looks like I’ll have to try and make it again. Live and Learn.

This entry was posted in Mistakes, MyBrewing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *